WHAT IS FACIAL GUA SHA?
Facial Gua Sha is an ancient scraping massage technique developed by Traditional Chinese Medicine. It began as a treatment done solely on the body to improve blood circulation, move lymphatic stagnation and release muscle tension. Over time, a much gentler version was created for the face that involves a light gliding motion to tone, lift, and smooth the skin. Tools of various shapes made of crystal (such as jade or rose quartz) are used with light pressure in an upward and outward movement. The aim is to reduce puffiness by facilitating lymphatic drainage into the neck and bring fresh blood & nutrients to the skin for that healthy glow.
BENEFITS OF GUA SHA
Facial Gua Sha moves lymphatic fluid that gets built-up in the face, which carries away toxins that can contribute to acne and dull, irritated skin.
Gua Sha benefits include:
- tones the muscles of the face which can help with sagging skin
- firms and hydrates the skin
- relaxes muscle tension in the face, contributing to full body stress relief (puts the body in a parasympathetic state, which is wonderful for anyone who has trouble falling asleep)
- boosts blood flow & circulation
- moves stagnant blood that contributes to dark circles & under-eye bags
- helps the skin recover from blemishes & acne scars
- prevents wrinkles and helps smooth existing lines
- de-puffs and slims the face
- instantly lifts and plumps the skin
- allows serums to penetrate deeper post-treatment
- aids neck pain & headaches brought on by tight muscle or fascia
- SELF-CARE! (a wonderful way to touch and love on your body)
- WHY IS LYMPHATIC DRAINAGE IMPORTANT?
Did you know that your lymphatic system is twice as big as your circulatory system? And yet, while your circulatory system has your heart to pump and clean your blood automatically, your lymph has NO built-in pump whatsoever. Lymph only moves manually through exercise, massage, and diet; which is why it’s so easy to get backed up with our modern lifestyle.
The lymphatic system was not fully understood in the Western world until as little as two decades ago – yet ancient systems of medicine such as TCM or Ayurveda see it as one of the first places to look for stagnation when the body is ill. The AMA historically ignores lymph stagnation as a cause of disease, whereas other countries such as Germany employ specialized Lymphatic Drainage techniques as a treatment for fibrocystic breast disease, allergies, chronic sinusitis, arthritis, eczema, heart disease and more.
Signs your lymphatic system is sluggish may include: